Thursday, January 29, 2009

I'm still here, mostly

Hey everyone, no I haven't forgotten you. Sorry it's been a while. We got busy with birthdays, Christmas, a surgery, a baptism, new carpet, a new pair of glasses, tons of doctors appointments . . . ok you get it. Here's some pictures from it all. All this business got me thinking about how all mom's of multiple children have stories; crazy ones, if you're one of those moms you know what I'm talking about. So here's one of my crazy stories.

A couple of years ago we went to visit family in Utah. We wanted to get to 2 reunions so that meant our vacation was going to be 3 weeks long. We went in the summer to Park City for our first family reunion with my husband's family. My in-laws generously used their timeshare to get all of their 6 children and their families in the Marriot Resort. We got there Saturday and had a very nice liesurely Saturday and Sunday. Sunday night my 6 month old started throwing up, and kept throwing up. I finally got a hotel towel and brought him to the bed with me. Everytime he threw up I would wake up and put the towel in front of his mouth then we'd go back to sleep. By morning I was nervous for him because he threw up so many times. But he quit by 9 which was when we were doing family pictures, which you can guess, I really wasn't in the mood for. Monday night we put the kids to bed and the adults played games when my oldest came out of the bedroom white as a ghost and I said uh oh, did you just throw up. Yep, all over the hotel bed and floor. Half of the family got the stomach flu. I let my sister-in-law use my mascara for the family pictures, dumb I know, and of course I get pink-eye. Twice. After this eventful reunion we went to my parents house and after a few days there we notice my son has a rash. I take him to the PA who says its a drug reaction because he was on antibiotics for an ear infection. I'm like, what, he finished the medicine 2 days ago. We go home and have a miserable night, my poor son tossed and turned all night long. When I turned on the lights I was mortified at the hives all over his poor body. We took him in again, to the doctor this time, who tried to comfort 2 concerned parents. He let us know that this was a mild case, a bad case would have sent him straight to the hospital, that it might last several weeks and to give lots of benedryl. He also said take pictures to put in his records when we got home. He was like this for a week. The new hives would be bright red like a bull's-eye and the old hives would turn black and blue like bruises. By the time the next family reunion came his hives were almost gone, but when we left for the reunion house he refused to walk. My extremely active 2 year old did not want to walk and made me push him around in the stroller. He had more bad nights where he cried out in pain all night long, and still wouldn't walk. Took him to another doctor, who basically said take care of it when you get home, that was helpful. Oh, and half of the family members got the stomach flu at this reunion, we though we missed it, but on the way home, I was woken up at the hotel to my other daughter throwing up. She threw up several times at the hotel and once right when she got in the van, but fortunately in a bag, and was ok the rest of the way home. My poor brother's family didn't have it so well on the way home. Home, hurray, but a few weeks later my son wouldn't walk again, so I said all right, I'm going to my pediatrician whom I adore. She finally helped me and termed it Omnicef serum sickness. Apparently its not an "allergic reaction", but he shouldn't have that medicine again and I asked her how long he was going to have symptoms, of hives and joint pain, and she said it could be up to 6 months. Believe it or not, we still had fun on our trip, even though it was crazy, as my husbands family would put it, it was an adventure. Ok moms post your crazy stories. Oh, and Melissa I posted this picture for you.


wendys said...

I love your family photos, your pink dress is so cute! My story from last summer is.... The morning of the day I was leaving for Utah for a family reunion, my son rolled out of bed, broke his forehead open and had to get 10 stitches! Poor kid. We still made it to Utah after a trip to the ER first.

Jodee said...

Glad to have you back! We had so much fun with you all at Christmas, I loved watching the kids all play together.

And Kristen, I hate to tell you this, but I think every time you step out your front door you are in for an adventure... I could never even come close to touching that story!
Love you!

wendys said...

Hey, did you know amber has a new blog?

Have a good day!

Amber said...

wow, you definately have lots of adventures. Your kids are getting so big. What a great family. I hope everyone is getting better.